Google – Director, Music Publishing, YouTube Music (US)
About the work
This position may also be located at our Playa Vista, CA campus.
Note: By applying for this role, you will have the opportunity to share your preferred workplace from among the following: New York, NY, United States; Los Angeles, California, United States.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of business experience in music publishing and / or licensing of music rights.
- Experience in discussing musical chords and creating new business opportunities in digital music.
- Experience with major digital publishing issues and rights management trends including sync rights and performance licensing.
- JD and / or MBA.
- Ability to take initiative and build constructive relationships externally and internally, including with executive stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically and convert complex problems into simple and timely actions.
- Attention to detail, ability to manage and coordinate multiple simultaneous activities.
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills, with the ability to operate flexibly in a rapidly changing environment.
- A mastery or willingness to learn technological concepts, financial models and product characteristics.
About the work
You will be part of the YouTube Music team whose goal is to grow labels, publishers, artists and songwriters online, create successful careers for artists and songwriters, and business models for the music industry on YouTube. You will be responsible for ensuring the continued business development and relationship management with YouTube’s music publishing partners.
You will interact regularly with your music publishing company counterparts, facilitating ongoing business and operational processes and identifying and generating opportunities for mutual business growth. You will also work closely with internal teams. As Head of Music Publishing, you will establish and maintain strategic relationships with our music publishing partners, including leading discussions on complex licensing and partnership agreements, managing existing publisher partnerships, launching new relationships, creating new business opportunities, solving business problems and analyzing and monitoring. key indicators to identify trends.
At YouTube, we believe that everyone deserves a voice and that the world is a better place when we listen, share and build community through our stories. We work together to empower everyone to share their story, explore what they love, and connect with each other in the process. Working at the intersection of cutting edge technology and limitless creativity, we move at the speed of culture with a common goal of showing people the world. We explore new ideas, solve real problems and have fun – and we all do it together.
- Discuss complex content license agreements and strategic distribution agreements.
- Work cross-functionally to develop and drive partner-related business processes, including escalation of strategic issues, and update internally / externally on product, operational and account changes consistently, and gather feedback for internal stakeholders.
- Drive new partnerships, promote new business opportunities with existing partners and manage existing partnerships to optimize business growth and ensure timely and appropriate resolution of business issues raised by partners.
- Identify long-term business growth opportunities for partner accounts and drive these opportunities internally and externally.
- Work with management to define and launch strategic business initiatives in your assigned market, and define, analyze and communicate key metrics and business trends for VP and C level forums.
Google prides itself on being an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, descent, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal background, in accordance with legal requirements. Also see Google’s EEO policy and EEO is the law. If you have a disability or special need requiring accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodation for Applicants form.